Friday, April 27, 2012

Bator

Well we went to a friends house to buy 12 fertilized chicken eggs, cause our baby chick from last year turned out to be a rooster, and we only have 2 hens.  I was surprised fertilized eggs are worth $10 and up a dozen.  But somehow we ended up leaving with 48 fertilized eggs for free, of varying age.  Like 2 weeks later, we get around to dealing with them.

I took 24 to the hatchery to hatch, cause we don't know what we'r doing.  Then in another week we got our bator together, got a cooler, hot water thermostat, computer fan.  The hot water thermostat only went down to 110 deg.  I think I need 100 ish deg.  So I simply dialed the stat down to 110, then pulled its nob off and reinstalled the nob at 120 and dialed it down to 110 again.  That gives me a theoretical 100 deg.

It seemed to hold within 5 deg, and our chickens are definitely developing.  So its looking like we will have some 40 odd chickens.  If any body wants any, let us know.  We have a mix of bantams, blue eggs, I don't even know.  The bantams will make some nice city birds, cause they are small.

Video of the home made incubator:


Video of candling eggs day 10:

No comments: