Monday, January 23, 2012

Frozen Pipe Repair

As almost everyone knows, I managed to dodge the only real week of winter in Edmonton, at -35 Celsius.  I was hiding out in Victoria for their worst week of winter with -5 deg weather and lots of snow.  The trip was planned perfectly, as I was on the plane home, the weather was warming up in Edmonton.  Michelle heard a funny noise in the Edmonton house, and eventually found a water pipe burst, that blew water through the basement drywall.  Home at midnight I didn't deal with it till morning, but here's how that went down in the video.  In the future I expect I should get rid of all this copper pipe, replace it with pex, and run it through the basement ceiling, not on top of the concrete foundation wall, or even in an outside wall at all.  That was what I was going to do originally, but then my phone started ringing, and I had to go to work.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good thing no lead in that solder ... after all lead in pipes is not so great for the old brain! Not sure if just one solder would make a difference, but better safe than sorry!

Malcolm said...

This pipe only feeds the washing machine cold water, its a good 8-10 feet from any drinking water pipes. From the age and all the whole house is probably soldered in lead, all the copper joints.

Anonymous said...

Flux always helps. Did you use any?