Friday, March 9, 2012

700R4 upgrades

I've learned a lot over the winter rebuilding my Chevy automatic transmissions.  Thanks a bunch to Michelle for letting me take over the basement all winter and putting up with the musk of burnt tranny fluid.  I feel much better about my automatic Astro van now, knowing I can fix the transmission, should I burn it out.  Before it was like "when's this trans going to go?" and I would always be on the look out for a new van, or have a back up truck ready to go.  Now I will have a back up automatic transmission built and ready to install.

I didn't really film the rebuilding, cause honestly I didn't know what I was doing, and it took about 6 months, hour here, hour there.  Next one I will film, with short cuts, to show what you most likely get with a $800 rebuild.

I did a few mods to the automatic transmission to make it hold up better towing the 4500lb electrical trailer.  Those mods are going to cost me more work on the install, because I will have to mess about pulling the governor, and modifying the governor, to get the shift rpms back to where they were before the higher pressures and bigger valves.  I have 2 videos covering the mods I did here.



No comments: