Saturday, March 31, 2012

Torque Converter Myth

I got my new built transmission in my van.  Haven't done all the tests yet, but it worked sweet around the block.  Everything is as expected, shift points are perhaps a tad higher.  It slams into gear, to get rid of the "slush box" automatic feel, and make me more aware of what gear I'm in.

I was actually looking forward to cutting my original torque converter open, to see how burnt up it is.  It is my theory that most of the heat on the highway was coming from the torque converter.  My testing proved it did not lock up as it should have.  When I told the transmission shop I was going to open the old converter, they were taken aback, "oooh, you have a metal lathe?" they said.  I was like "no I'm just going to open it w a grinder".  And they told me its so thick, like 1/4" thats a lot of work, and waste of time.  I actually listened to them and didn't open it up, for a few days.  Then I remembered I own a plasma cutter.

I was totally disappointed in the results.  It seemed to me like there was nothing in the torque converter to wear out.  Maybe it is a steel clutch of sorts that doesn't have the strength to lock up under the load I put on it, I may never know, but I have put the question out there.

http://youtu.be/qY3PThQszTE

No comments: