Saturday, February 14, 2009

New car


I went to Chevy looking for an Astro van, for my electrical business. To my horror they discontinued the Astro van in 2004, and now the only thing available is the full size 6 liter and up gas guzzling pigs. They tried to sell me their pannel car, which is their version of the small tradesman van these days. I snubbed that idea, I don't need to drive PT Cruiser type thing to jobs. Then I found Cargovanscanada.com, and found lots of Astro vans available but I figured out the gas milage is hardly better than my 19' dodge half ton. Why bother, I figure no big deal if I am making $400ish for the day working, whats $60-$80 for gas for the day. Then I saw an add for those chevies in the paper and they were bosting 40mpg, with a monthly payment of $300 a month. As you can imagine, working in town for 5 days would make that car payment in gas payments for the big truck. And I have come to realize that I don't need the big truck for my electrical business, with some creative space use I could get by with a much smaller car. We go to Toronto for July and August, for Michelle's time off, and Mexico for Septemberish to Decemberish, for some more Spanish lessons. If a real estate agent can't sell our house in those 6 months, we will return, and I will most definitely buy one of these new cars for my business. But if we sell and move to a city, there would be no cost savings in buying a new car, and I would probably buy a discontinued Astro van. The other option is one of those litle japanese trucks, their payload is only 800lb, but I think they get better milage than the Chevy HHR. I already checked into those, but they have a top speed of 90km/h, and the highways to town are 110km/hour

No comments: