Tuesday, May 12, 2009

The new toys




Managed to hook up w Darrel today, went to his yard to take his lawn tractors he said I could have. I am always shocked at how little pick up trucks can carry. So I only got 2 of 4 lawn tractors. The ol Lawn Scout, was going to be our grass cutter. Its only a 6hp, with a single menacing 30 inch blade. I checked it out first, started rite up w 'liquid fire' starting fluid, but the carb would not get gas into it. I rebuilt the carb, and found one damaged needle and seat. Still wouldn't work after the rebuild, and the plumes of smoke from its short runs being bottle fed gas, lead me to believe that is one really worn out motor. I pulled the motor off and disgaurded it, thinking I can buy a brand new motor from china for bout $200, the mower can be easily sold for that at any time. The second tractor I had great difficulty getting started. I actually took video of my last ditch efforts, to show how frustrating it was being, and it fired rite up on the second try. Without any editing or cutting of the vid, you can see at the end, letting the clutch out, it smokes the drive belt off. The very cool 'shift amatic' cvt clutch system is all siezed up. I got it unsiezed but I have to get new belts for it now, hopefully wide V belts will work.

With that tractor working I stripped the menacing 30" blade off the scout, and am now fitting it on our original tractor, that had a 36" blade.

Also attached, in all the wrong order, is a picture of the 40's Fargo truck I may buy for prolly three hun. Most he will get crushing it will be $200, if steal goes up any, and he loves me cause I always have cars for him. But I still have some measurements to do to prove it will be easy to transfer the Fargo body onto the 57 frame. They are both old frames that were just strait beams, so as long as those frame beams are the same distance apart, all will be good.

I have lots of ideas for a hybrid tadpole style trike, using perhaps my chopper 250cc motor, I would hope to get 100mpg, getting it registered would be another issue, but I want to build at least a prototype. I can always put quad tires on it and rip around in the bush. Darrel has volunteered the suspension parts I will need to make the front end of my latest creation.

No comments: