Friday, May 29, 2009

Etiller


Finally went to the city yesterday to take my nightmare computer in and get some stuff at Princess Auto. I got a simple $2 fan belt pulley for an electric motor I had kicking around, and had the motor welded on the roto tiller in about an hour, when I got home. That is with scrounging up scrap metal mounts and stuff. The motor is unfortunately not very adjustable, and to change the belt the whole motor would need to be unbolted and somewhat removed, but the belt is brand new (from a $2 box of belts I got at a farm auction). I put that together at about midnight and tested it out, it seemd unstoppable, and even I was amazed at how quiet it was. I should call it the wisper tiller. I will try and take a video in the morning. Because the Etiller doesn't have a big heavy motor over the front, the whole thing is very light, and it will sit there all day tilling if you leave it alone. Farmers say rototilling keeps the moles away, hopefully that has nothing to do w the loud obnoxious gas motors. I intend to put the rototiller on a timer, stuck nicely in the garden. Then it can come on at night for an hour, wile the moles are looking for new places to dig holes. I can peg the extension cord to the ground, and if the tiller decides to wonder off, it simply unplugs its self. If the earth grinding noise doesn't keep the moles away, I don't know what will.

The Lawn tractor in all the vids ate 2 “transamatic” belts. Yes I even bought the right belt, they were more expensive, but that was prolly just Canadian Tires extra mark up. So The hour before I put the rototiller together, I removed the ol “transamatic” transmission and the 2 counter rotating belts that would get caught up in each other, and I put one simple princess auto belt from the motor to the rear end. Kind of sad it was somewhat between sizes, the big belt was too loose for the idler to tension, and the short one was too tight to successfully disengage the idler. So the lawn tractor got the shortbelt and its direct drive, one gear. The rear end does have a forward neutral and reverse shifter. It moves a little fast for cutting the grass in those tight areas, but it keeps you on your toes. No more sitting back w a beer, mowing the grass in first gear. Its two hands, white knuckeled, on the steering wheel hanging on for dear life, no brakes no clutch flat out. I will add brakes I guess, but they will just stall the motor out, annoying. Maybe then I wouldn’t need to install a kill switch, even easier. I think the brakes are all there they just need to be tightened.

That is all the latest, I have to get ready to go camping tonight.

No comments: