Monday, July 18, 2011

Vegtable Oil Hybrid Tour Of Victoria

The ol VW had some problems this week. I have put over 6000 diesel free kilometers on it in the last few months, bringing the total kilometers up towards 600,000.  And would you believe, no fuel problems at all, besides the odd leak, and clogged filter every 2000km.  But the back wheel nearly fell off this week.  In Fort Saskatchewan, 75km from home in Edmonton, the back wheel went all wobbly Saturday evening.

We were acctually 5km out of the Fort, when we got the wobble, so we turned around and went back to Fort Saskatchewan, with hopes to make it to Nappa before they close.  We made it to Nappa, and got what they said were the correct bearings.  We thought of doing the Nappa parking lot bearing change, but the job goes much faster with Beer, and a bigger selection of tools than the VW holds, helps too.

Because most of the roads are strait, and there isn't many lights, the wheel would get a nice gyro effect and roll really well, until I hit pot holes, slowed below 50km/h or turned a corner.  After a few pot holes, corners, and stop lights, the rear wheel cylinder blew out.  Would you believe the 96 VW has only a single brake fluid reservoir?  I updated the 57 with 1969 brakes, that had a double reservoir, cause running out of brake fluid sucks.  (I did notice VW has a fluid level sensor, that either doesn't work on mine, or the warning light was behind my electrical tape collection on the dash)

The brakes died just before Nappa closed, and they didn't have any wheel cylinders.  So I drove the 75km without brakes..  There was only one sketchy hill stop start, which I obviously couldn't stop at, but only do an impatient style shuffle forward and back riding the clutch, praying I don't stall, and fortunately no down hill stops, that would have been bad.  I was ready to sacrifice the VW at any moment, to the ditch, pole, or what ever meant not hitting another car, but the drive went really well.

Now I really only want to drive a standard diesel.  Made me really happy about putting all this money into the old diesel Ranger, because its perfect.  I pretty much work out of my cargo trailer these days, so my van is somewhat obsolete, except that the poor VW can't haul the trailer.  And I will use the van without the trailer all winter, but we'll have the diesel possum van finished, as soon as I get some time.

So family fun works out, in Victoria, for Aug 4, 5, and 6th.  I have been telling all my custies (customers), I will be gone that week, and it seems to be going over pretty well.  I am more upset that I can't, so far, carry enough WVO (Waste Vegetable Oil) to make it all the way there and back, therefore I might have to break my 6000km diesel free run.  But a couple of jerry cans would get me there, and I am sure I can collect some there, or even along the way.  Maybe I can scab a tank on the roof, I have a couple of days yet.

A quick old video, didn't require much editing (time), of my VW graphics.

No comments: