Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Back to work


The school replaced their kitchen stoves, and the old ones were going to the dump. I can't stand to see good stuff thrown out, and I need some stove burners to make myself a killer 4000 watt heater with an old furnace blower that I also collected from garbage. Until then it makes good wheel weights on the back of the tractor ha ha. Doesn't steer very well like that though, I need to find a happy medium. I have lawn tractor skid steer, front end loader plans in my head, that may materialize by the end of the winter, depending on what kind of parts I find at the dump.

I think I have pushed the limit of staying home and playing w lawn tractors, sleds, and trucks. At least remaining happily married doing that. Saturday night I put an add up on Kijiji for electrical work. I am also pretty much out of money, so I also put an add up to potentially move people w my new trailer, that I haven't used once. I got a lot of calls the next day. With all the driving I just got 2, 3 hour jobs in, and picked up a period correct radiator for the 57 in another town. I only charged $50 an hour, for the electrical job, and the moving job I did. At the end of it I think i should charge more for both jobs, but moving people is so much easier.

I have asked 3 contractors now what they charge, both electricians and plumbers, and its been $65, $75, and $80 an hour, plus $0.85 per km traveled, or $65-$75 just for showing up w a truck. I will take the average of those prices I think, and up my $50 hourly rate. Then moving people, I don't know what to charge there yet, its so easy $50 is acceptable w $100 min. That gets me into Edmonton, and I can go door to door looking for electrical work after I move someone.

The clients have been amusing. Buddy skipping on his rent, moving all his stuff to storage, has to stop at money mart to pay me. Then I put some 3 way switches in for a different guy in a finished duplex. I had to cut holes in the finished painted walls, make a mess, come across unexpected obstacles in the walls, its really easier moving boxes. Anyway he decided to change a light fixture after I left, by himself, and he screwed it all up, so it didn't work, then he phoned me and I had to walk him through it on the phone. But he is a commercial real estate agent, so I can follow up with him and potentially get more work. "Hey did you get that light working in the end? Know anybody that needs commercial real estate wired?" I gave him a stack of cards, and a great deal.

We missed a crayfish Moulting, I think she did it wile we slept. She was the small one, but now with her exoskeleton removed she is the big one. The other guy is ready to moult any day, hope to get it on camera. The after math is really creepy cause the little buggers are always hiding, and here is the "big guy" standing over an empty shell with legs and pinchers and all, nobody else in sight. I just assumed the "big guy" killed and ate the other one at some point. But the "big guy" was really the little girl now out of her shell.

No comments: