Wednesday, February 3, 2010


A video of one of the many repairs I have to do to the 57. I am not doing too much for exciting things these days, so I am going to make a video journal of the truck repairs. It is not a restoration, but I am trying to keep most stuff somewhat period correct. The truck has all new brakes, brought up to the 1969 standards, so it stops good. It will probably get HID headlights, and LED tail lights, but the generator will stay in until it fails. For cold weather it has the electric radiator fans, and it will get a new stereo. But I am going out of my way to keep the dash looking original and get the old looking switches. I have even glued switch labels on from the 2953 I had hauled away. I will make a video a day from here on.

Test drove the Sprinter van, liked everything but the price tag. I had a good conversation w Terry, presumably the owner of Aldon Auto. He is interested in an Electrical quote of wiring a small medical center he is building. He is hoping to have the electrical plans this week, and would like a quote from me. A bit over my head as an estimator, but I have to go for it.

Terry figured the Sprinter van is only good for 20mpg, being a one ton and all. That really wouldn't be worth my wile if thats the case. But if the VWs get 60mpg w their little diesels, couldn't I get 40 mpg in a VW powered mini van? I have a free minivan lined up, and a rebuilt VW engine and trans in Victoria, any time I want to start that project.

As I get into my 57 I really can't wait to drive it. I am also shifting my thoughts towards rebuilding the Ranger, as opposed to rebuilding the old Dodge. It is really causing me no problems now, since the whole lot of work after Mexico, being Universal joints, front brakes, and drive shaft bearing. I notice one air bag is rubbing again, but I have 5 spares, so I can't be bothered to replace it in the cold.

I found oversize pistons for the the 110 buggy on Ebay. I was really excited about boring the cylinder a half mm oversize myself. It doesn't really matter if I screw it up, a new piston and cylinder is only $80 w shipping. And if it works out I can do my truck myself, and save $40 per cylinder for boring. But then I found out the piston pin is the wrong size and I don't feel confident enough to re-bore my connecting rod strait 3mm larger. Good thing I ask questions first. I will hope my Dodge doesn't need re-boring, because I won't attempt it without some practice. Plus it will save me a lot of money to stay with stock size.

No comments: