Sunday, April 3, 2011

Buggy Repairs

I have been comunicating with this guy Cliff since last May.  He contacted me, wanted to buy the orange dune buggy.  Talking to him more I found out he had a Carter Buggy that didn't work, it has a broken axle, and he has been trying to get it fixed for well over a year now.  I told him I would take it as a trade in, then I said I would fix it for him  That was last summer, when I had the time.  He sent me this email today:

I appreciate your help. I believe you are our only hope of ever using this buggy again. Last year I brought it to a mechanic friends of mine and he now has it stored at his acreage. I would like to move it out to your place so you can look at it and wrap your creative mind around it. This way you could figure out exactly what you can do to save it and what the end cost would be to me. I need to know when I could bring it down as I need to arrange for a trailer.

That was kind of cool.  I had told him I didn't really have time to do it now, but how can I say no to that email.  I had sent him this neat video, from aussikartman, to better explain how we would rebuild the back end of the kart, removing the independent rear suspension, with CV joints and the failed tri joint, and 2 axles. Once removed I would have to basically hinge the back of the cart, with the motor in it, put a solid axle in and remount everything.  Aussikartman does it well here making a new back end of his kart to take a bigger motorbike motor.  


No comments: