Sunday, December 25, 2011

Tire Machine Improvements

Nobody really thinks to mount their own tires, what a hassle.  When you do as much driving as me, have as many trucks, trailers, and ATVs as me, having your own tire machine is brilliant.  But also living out in the sticks as we did for 5 years, its not practical at all to take a tire for the 2 hour return trip to town for mounting.  The going rate for tire installation is about $20, at the reasonable shops, for one tire.  Most charge more than that, then they add $4 tire recycling fee,  plus valve stem, and wheel weight costs.

There was a point there, when my trailer suspension was bottomed out, I would go through a tire a week, on pot holes and curbs.  The suspension has been beefed up so it doesn't bottom out any more.  But back then, last summer, it was no big deal.  I have my own tire machine, auto wrecker sells me 15" tires for $15 each, I fix it.  Total cost $15 and a trip to the wrecker.

I just love this tire machine, it was well under $100 to buy, and I will easily mount 1000 tires with it in my life time, saving me a lot of driving around, and at minimum $20,000 in tire mounting fees.  The design is pretty good, but I recommend two improvements.  One improvement I had to do 5 years ago, the other I did today in this video.


No comments: