Thursday, November 10, 2011

Had To Get Towed

My start at being my own transmission mechanic, hasn't gone well.  I tried to give a little more life to my old transmission, by giving it bigger serveros, to put more pressure on the burnt clutches.  I screwed that up, it was very difficult to get the servo in, wile the transmission was in the van.  I have now "sanded out" the damage I caused in the servo bore, and put the original servo back in.  The new servo will just be in the new transmission.

I will now ride out the transmission in the van, until I lose third and fourth, next spring or summer I am hoping, or maybe when I get my garage built.  (I now have spousal permission to build a real garage w heat :-)).  I got an 84 transmission, that also needs a rebuild, for $100.  The newest transmission I can use is 92, and that's 20 years old.  I figured I would rebuild whatever I get.  There is too many scammers out there that want $1000 for their "rebuilt" transmission.  Most of them haven't even cleaned the thing, what is to say its "rebuilt", and its not rebuilt the way I want anyway.

So this is a video of the servo screw up and the start of the rebuild of my 84 transmission.  Parts are on there way.  Although the 85-92 trans was better than 84 this one will be built for towing, and a future diesel conversion, better than anything 20 years old.

No comments: