Saturday, November 5, 2011

New Lokar Floor Shifter

With a lot of research I found that my Astro van transmission, the 700R4, is actually pretty good.  I think what sold me on it though, is there is adapter plates available to bolt up the 3.9L Cummins diesel 4 cylinder.  I also found I can rebuild the transmission to act more like a standard.

I hate the shifter on the the tree too.  I think twice I have been like "oh I'm not in drive (I'm in a low gear)" and I  go through the unnatural motion of shifting up, its all stuck, and next thing you know I threw it into reverse wile I am driving forward.  After I did that in the Ford Windstar it wouldn't shift into third or fourth.

I ordered some parts to make my existing transmission better, and to rebuild a second transmission, because I will eventually lose my 3rd and 4th gear on my present transmission.  That's great, because I will still have 2 foward gears, and revers.  I get away with out a tow truck again.  But with the  parts I ordered, I got a sweet floor shifter for the van.  Heres the vid of the shifter install, it got dark at the end sorry.

No comments: