Wednesday, July 28, 2010

VW

Everybody deserves and update. The VW cold start, hopefully that will upload to Youtube.



My office/mancave, I tried to use again, and realized there are many reasons I hadn't been using it, all problems combined I found too overwhelming. No power in there was the first thing, the flaky extension cord from the shop to a power bar, and temp lights is irritating. It is all "wired" but no space in the garage panel to hook it up. So first thing I did is install a panel twice as big as the previous one, and I added a car plug for the winter, no more extension cords through doors.

Then all excited to use my office, my internet was totally unreliable. The tower said 29% signal, on my G router with the steel (dune buggy fender) reflector dish. so I bought a new N router, and that made the difference. It has 2 antennas, and sits a little higher, but my reflector dish seems totally wrong for it. Even still I get 50% signal now with the N. I wired the G router out in the office and now I have my choice, and 100% G signal.

But then my tower is ridiculously slow and unreliable. I looked at new motherboards w chipsets n ram. Less than $200 I can have the works, capable of 2 monitors. I paid almost that much for my, now obsolete, video card, to run 2 monitors. The tower is a decade old 1.6 ghz, the new board would be a 2.6 ghz processor. I came home and thought, my new laptop is the greatest thing ever, I will match or exceed its ghz, cause I have no idea what it means. I check and my lap top is 1.3ghz, what the? my only other comparison is ram, lap top 4 gigs, new tower motherboard 2 gigs (to stay under $200). My decade old tower upgraded years ago to a wopping 3/4 gigs, thats 0.75, of obsolete ram. I will try to run my trading programs on the tower, I am loving XP, of which I realized I have 4 licences for, with 2 dead laptops, and 2 obsolete towers, one of which is dead. Anyone need an XP pin #?

No comments: