Thursday, September 30, 2010

Buggy Rental Twist

My van shudder keeps going.  I finally decided to google it.  Well it sounds like its a transmission issue.  Sounds like great motivation to put the VW motor n trans in.  Then I read further and it says worn out, or the wrong transmission fluid can cause the shuddering.  I figure that is worth a try.  Well wouldn't you know the "correct" tranny fluid costs twice as much as any other fluid.  Definitely not something me nor the previous 2 owners of the van would of bought.  So we'll see if that fixes the problem.

Went to get a quote on insurance to rent ATVs.  Said I am only interested in renting 4 ATVs, 2 days a week, weekends.  So they are like "how much are you going to gross?"  I'm like "$135 a day each, $540 a day."  So she says "$56,000 a year then?"  I'm thinking wow is it really that easy, to work two days a week spreading joy, and having fun, plus make $56k.  Of course it wouldn't work like that, since only half the year is nice weather.  We are going to try it out with 4 buggies.  We don't really have much to lose.  I am going to try to buy another 2 used ones, since nobody is selling anything but Giovani buggies new now, and they are crapola.  Although the Giovani buggies are half the price, they might make good rentals.

But wait, the Government is shutting down the Bruderheim sand dunes to Off Highway Vehicles (ohv for short).  Son of a....  Always has to get hard somehow.  Now we have to look at Redwater's ATV park, which I have never been to.  This is going to require guided buggy tours because people will get lost on its 5000 acres, compared to Bruderheim's 500, and it sounds like its riddled with Muskeg, prairie quicksand.  The 2wd buggies don't do well in muskeg.  Found these guys just north of Montreal, they do guided 2 hour buggy tours, each buggy makes them $107 - $146 an hour.  thats wile the tour guide, me, gets to drive his favorite buggy around, pointing out muskeg to avoid and stuff.   The $1000 dollar weekends just turned into a short 4 hour day.  I'm going to have to shoot for making $60k just over summer weekends, and have a hell of a lot of fun.  Here is the Montreal pricing, copied from their website.

No comments: