Thursday, October 7, 2010

ATV Swapping

Thats it, no more accepting work up poles.   I have trouble saying "no".  I want to help everybody.  I did say no to someone that wanted your standard city light changed out on a steel pole.  I simply can't carry a ladder long enough.  The minivan back door has to open, and over a 20' extension ladder hangs over the front too far and caves the roof in.  But people keep having these 30' wood telephone poles I need to get to the top of.  My eyes lit up when Shane said he had a set of spurs.  I was really excited to try them out.  Not being familiar with them, I still don't understand what was going on with the belt, I could not get it tight enough.  I nearly slid down the pole like a fire man.  Funny how it didn't really hurt, hanging on for dear life, but when I got to the ground, I was pretty soar, I feel pretty alive now though.  So I am not sure that I will be buying a set of spurs at this point.  A little practice, they would be sweet, and replace a 40' ladder, at 1/5 the cost, and weight.  I got my mishap on video, but it is really just a silhouette.  I'll post it up next time.  For today...

I am focusing my energy on buggy tours.  What kind of dreamy life would I have, to be paid to take the dune buggy out on the weekend, and paid well.  I have been in comunication with a gentleman that owns a Carter 250, for some time.  He has serious axle problems.  I feel like a jerk, not telling him where to get an axle, maximumparts.com, but we don't know that a hammerhead axle would fit for sure anyway, and he is a layman that can't weld.  He has been trying to fix it (get parts) for 2 years.  I said I would fix it for $1000, no go.  So I finally offered to trade him the 110 single seater for his broken 250 two seater.  He is very interested in that.  Here is the vid I just made for him.



Once that deal goes through, I have another trade w another dude, the new $50 110cc quad we got last weekend, for this dudes hardly used 150cc dirt bike.  What do I need another dirt bike for you ask?  What do I need a quad for?  At least the dirt bike will make a pair, with the 125cc dirt bike I got last weekend.  The quad is sort of odd man out there.

We take possession of our new house tomorrow.  Insurance has been a real dickaround.  I have gotten 7 quotes, from $1800 to $400 for house insurance we need before we take possession.  The average price was $800, they say we are insured for $300k, contents, blah, blah, blah.  The $1800 and $400 were ironically the same broker.  I said, as I said to all the others, "look, I'm not interested in content insurance, the house isn't worth $300k, its $135k, lot value, if it burns down, I will be selling the lot and on my marry way, I don't want you to rebuild the place, but the bank wants you to pay them the mortgage money before I can do that, so insure me for $135k."  The other 5 brokers all said "it will cost $300,000 to rebuild, its illegal to under insure a place, contents are automatically included."  Except small town Andrew, "sure $400"  of that $40 is my 1 million dollar liability insurance.  I said you add a million liability on my Andrew house for $40.  Thats next on the agenda.  They want to inspect fire places, and there is boxes everywhere w moving and all.

No comments: