Monday, March 22, 2010

The 110cc buggy runs again

Today was unreasonably cold, -8 deg C. I couldn't finish painting the van in the cold, so I continued w the spring cleaning. I took the quonset down, and under that was my dune buggy waiting for its new piston and cylinder. There is no available shop space for the buggy rite now so I thought I would just put it together. I had been procrastinating because of the unknown. I don't know what to align where on the timing marks, nor where this timing chain roller was exactly supposed to go.

I basically didn't turn the motor over, and didn't take the timing chain off the sprockets. I figured out where the roller went, though it was a bit sloppy. I just now realized where the left over bushing goes, it goes on the chain roller, oops. I think I should order a new chain roller anyway. Back when we wrecked the engine, I got it so hot it melted most of the plastic parts. The chain roller was also affected. It will be ok for a few short trips around breaking it in. It should be a 2 hour job in warm weather to replace that.


I have been planning a tracked lawn tractor snow plow, for some time. A fellow youtuber has a great idea for making tracks, and he even started production on his idea. But he hasn't posted anything for months, so I think he might have failed, or given up. I was going to copy his idea, but I just spoke to Dave and he probably has 2 matching sled tracks I can have for cheap. So I think I will make a seriously tracked machine, which will have to be a skid steer. Skid steering will work way better in the snow anyway. Skid steering is how the Bob Cats turn if you didn't know. Makes a mess of the grass, but very effective. This unit will get a bucket and a blade, and hopefully eliminate my desire for a tractor, cause I am not really allowed to have "tractor". Lawn tractors are ok though. It will also be a big video effort to see if I can make a really popular youtube video making something different and unique.

No comments: