Friday, January 21, 2011

$250 Fine For Using Your Remote Starter

This is such a needed message to get out there, but 30 seconds?  If your car is caught idling for more than 30 seconds in Edmonton you get a $250 fine.  This isn't like speeding where just some people speed, this is everybody in Edmonton, 750,000 plus people warm up their cars in the morning.  I don't know one person without a remote starter, and again, can't think of one person that hasn't gone past the 15 min warm up/shut down, in my presents, and had to hit the remote starter a second time.

I just see dollar signs.  If you don't want to move to the country, where you can do whatever you want, I will install an in car heater for less than the cost of a single ticket.  Keep in mind, almost everyone paid $400 to have a remote starter installed at the dealer.   For $200 I will put a small hole and grommet in your fire wall, with a $3 Noma cord passing through.  The male plug will pop out of your hood with the block heater cord, where we put a $0.99 three way plug, so you can plug both in at once.  Then in you cab the cord is neatly tie wrapped up behind the dash with just the female end exposed.  For the winter months you can plug the heater of your choice in to the Noma plug, just behind your dash.  Place the heater anywhere you want, my favorite spot is on the center console pointed at the steering wheel.  Now plug your car in to a timer programmed to come on 2-3 hours before you leave.  Blam, you get in a warm car, with a virtually warm engine, having both been warmed up electrically.

Even if I explain all this on Kijiji, very basic, less than an hours work, I guarantee there will be people that want me to do it.  Its like people don't want to do things for themselves.  I don't really have time, but I could probably do up one or 2 in the evening.  I spent like another $20k on my visa, since we last tried getting "free tickets" to mexico on my avion miles, so we are going to try that again to get away for a week.
I haven't done anything w my dune buggy, but I get excited every time I think about it.

No comments: