Thursday, January 27, 2011

Snow Has Finally Stopped

The pressure is on to get stuff done before I fly out Saturday.
I actually left at six am this morning, dispite previous vow not to do that in the winter.  Plus two Celsius, and raining, you would think the well salted roads were great.  Intersections were horrific.  Stopping for a red light, and brakes have virtually no effect.  This is where my thousand dollar van shines, I just steered into the six foot snow bank beside the road and scrubbed my speed off.  I still haven't checked to see if I damaged anything, don't think so though, and best of all I didn't rear end anyone.  I had the pleasure of watching a Neon slide rite in under a big truck today in front of me at another red light after my near miss.  She could have steered into the center snow bank, but opted for the full lock up no control skid.

I took the plasma cutter out to the Andrew duplex, previously jail, today.  The plan was to cut out the old steel beam that held the bars and jail door, it has no place in a house.  But my compressor, the really "good" dewalt compressor, blew a line 4 times.  It is not meant for continuous duty i guess.  I have no more compressoin fittings in Andrew to repair it, so I had to abort the mission.  They will have to frame around it now, cause I am practically on a plane to Mexico.  I also said I would do it for way too cheap, I didn't realize a lot of it was one inch thick.

Snow is causing public commercial buildings to collapse in Edmonton.  I am sure lots of homes are collapsing too, but not making news.  Ice damning is causing many homes to leak, two of the older homes I work on are leaking bad.  People are making a fortune removing snow from roof tops.  I totally love the steel roof I put up in Andrew, the snow just slides off.  If anyone is looking for a good roof pitch, greater than 30 degrees slides the snow off pretty quick.

No comments: