Saturday, January 15, 2011

Failures Of Winter

We've been waiting for the home stay woman to come visit our home and give us some exchange students.  It took a few months but the appointment came, and went, without a visit.  She couldn't get her car to our street in the snow, and gave up, postponing our appointment another 6 weeks.

Not only does my VW alarm go off randomly, on occasion, but if its -30 or less the drivers door won't unlock.  If you don't have the VW remote, you have to unlock the drivers door to turn the alarm off.  But thats not the best part, once it is successfully unlocked, with much force, the drivers door won't shut.  In the -30 I have to drive with the window open, hooking the door w my arm, to keep it shut.  After about 50km w the heat blasting it usually latches, and I can roll my window up.

Our Edmonton back yard is ridiculous.  I will have to get some video of it.  Just getting out there to feed the chickens can be quite the chore with waste high snow, and a chicken coop door poorly designed at ground level.  The reason the snow is so deep, is because the Ghetto Garage, takes up most of the back yard, and it can't tolerate snow on its roof.  That snow adds to the already knee high snow, and makes our back yard ridiculous.

Wile we were sick, the Edmonton house furnace failed.  We got up to a cold house in the morning.  Fortunately I am a bit smart with fixing things.  The pilot light wouldn't stay lit.  The thermal couple was a bit swollen.  Home Depot carried thermal couples, only $9, I almost bought 2.  That installed and fixed it like nothing.  Our 20ish year old furnace should be good for another 20 years now.  I just came from a clients house, her house is about 30 years newer, and her brand new high efficiency furnace costs a good $100 a month more to run.  I feel good about our monthly bill anyway.

No comments: