Sunday, January 9, 2011

Chicken Dinner

Wow feeling so much better today.  I can still cough if I really try, but my energy is back.  I shoveled the VW out, which didn't really help, cause I can't get down our street, its totally high centered and pushing a pile of snow in front of it.  A couple of nice pedestrians helped push it off my street, and on to the main street.  I had to get out once to shovel the built up pile out the front of the car.  The fire department shares main street, and it is well plowed, for them I expect.  We got grocerys, then got the VW back to the house, with a good run at our street, and parked.

Every day I go to feed the chickens, one rooster tries to kill me.  Sure I am 180lb, and he is just 12 lb, but when I am in their coop, I am hunched over, leaving my face wide open and out front.   I am also holding the 1 gal waterer, a bucket of food, or eggs from the chickens, also leaving me wide open.  I tried giving the rooster away on Kijiji with no takers.  It was the weekend today, so I could have some help, (cameraman), I went in the coop, and just grabbed him by the talons, as he came down on me today.  We aren't set up for chicken slaughtering, so it didn't happen super smooth.  Here is the quick vid  of how things roughly went down, city style.  Telephone pole being the only available chopping block.
The meat was a bit tough, maybe even a little gamy, but quite edible.  The camera man and I enjoyed it, the wife wouldn't have anything to do with it, because she had affectionately named the rooster George.

No comments: