Tuesday, March 8, 2011

The Brand New Diesel Generator First And Last Start

As many know, Direct Energy, and others electricity retailers in Alberta are absolute criminals.  As if our rates aren't already the most expensive in Canada, they add an apx $80 monthly "distribution charge" to the bill every month.  Since we now own two homes, we cut the bills down by shutting off the electricity at the "cottage".  We have been running the cottage off 12v car batteries, and the little 1000w generator.

The 1000w genny has been really efficient.  I can't get over that it runs for 8 hours on $4 of gas.  Wile running it is working to power all the lights in the house and battery chargers for the car battery lights.  Video of them to come, no I don't have headlights duck taped to the walls.  There is an old vid of the generator here

I really bought that generator for work, so I almost need to replace it with something.  I have always wanted one of those 10hp diesel motors they sell at Princess Auto.  They cost about $800, but go on sale for $500, and I keep thinking I will buy one to power my tank track garden tractor, as seen here

So when Princess Auto put the diesel generator on sale, powered by my beloved diesel engine all for $800, there was no losing.  I have a new generator and my much wanted air cooled diesel!  I could make the tank track garden tractor a "diesel electric" like the 400 ton heavy haulers, and trains.  In the summer when my tank track diesel electric snow plow (thats a mouth full) isn't needed, I pop the generator off for work.

Wow was I wrong.  Maybe I got the one bad unit, but it didn't work right.  Besides the somewhat expected ridiculously hard to start in the cold.  I had to recharge the starter battery so many times I didn't turn the camera on for the time it actually started.  But I did get some of the madness on film.  It makes me sad editing this video together, I really wanted this generator.  Put I am really happy I got it from Princess Auto, because I know they will take it back with no problem, unlike like Canadian Tire, and a lot of other retail bee-otches out there.

4 comments:

Stuff said...

did you manage to take it back without problems?

Also ill be in town on wednesday possibly

Malcolm said...

I have an electrical course wen 8-4, but we could meet up after if ur around still.

Princess Auto took the genny back w no problem. They were so friendly about it too. It is a pleasure shopping there, even if we get junk sometimes.

diesel generator for sale said...

Diesel has a higher energy density than gasoline, so although priced slightly higher, it will provide more energy output over time and ensure longer running times. Diesel Generators are your long-term power solution!

portable generators said...

I don't know when this debate of Diesel versus Petrol will be over. I mean they both have pros and cons.