Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Slow Fill Wall Foam

Installing some bathroom fans in our Edmonton home, I confirmed there is now insulation in the walls.  Until today I expected I would board the exterior walls with 2" insulation, and vinyl siding.  The attic already has well done blow in insulation.

Today I found a unique, and better solution for wall insulation.  I've heard of cutting holes in your walls and blowing in the attic style insulation, but it always settles, and is far from perfect.  Today I realized there is a slow fill rigid spray foam

Not only does this foam fill all the cavities, have the best r value per inch, best sound proofing, never settles, makes a solid thick vapor barrier, but it stiffens the whole structure considerably.  This means less wall cracking, and a stiffer structure for the eventual sketchy basement dig out or house lift, to get our 8' basement.

You can see a video of the slow fill DIY here
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KCNa6zb6x4U
I expect I can have it done for the same price as ordering the kit, but we will do it from the outside walls.  Then the house will get a new color vinyl siding, our neighborhood doesn't warrant the more expensive labor intensive sidings.

No comments: