Tuesday, August 24, 2010

On TV

My YouTube Video, of "Vintage Sleds For Sale At Daves Farm" got attention back east, from a TV producer. The video was originally made for 2 reasons, one to gain vewership from the popularity of the popular London Ontario YouTuber, "Davids Farm", and secondly, my buddy Dave will give me a 10% commission on anything I can sell.

I could make Dave a lot of money, but it really isn't worth my time to sell everything he has at a 10% profit. We have been through it many times, and its too bad, cause I would have a website, an ebay store, and booming business for a 50% cut. But instead he would rather die with his million possessions than think someone is getting half his profit from his lifetime collection. The sleds are just a fraction of his stuff.

This TV producer contacted me, wants to buy some Antiques from Dave, and have him on TV. The TV crew is showing up next Saturday to his house, which will be very exciting. It will be a Canadian version of an American show, where they visit old farms, and pick garbage old junk cheap, then restore it to new condition and sell it for a million dollars, basically.

The producer really wants to help, but Dave doesn't even have a cell phone, let alone internet access, or a website to promote. Dave is actually being really difficult about the whole thing, he doesn't even want to be on TV. They were disappointed that Dave has nothing to promote, except his land line phone number. They were wishing, and kept asking if I had any old sleds they could buy, or a website they could promote. Anyway, it all happens this Saturday. I expect to make $40 on a $400 sled sale, woo hoo. You can see how 10% commission doesn't cut it. Especially when he really needs to market every little piece off his machines online, for $10 ish, so that shipping is reasonable. Alberta is not a big enough market, especially for vintage crap.

No comments: