Saturday, February 12, 2011

Alternator Welder

It was brought to my attention in Mexico, that a generator 
will not run a transformer style welder.  Because the 
generator doesn't idle up quick enough when you strike an arc. 
 This I believe to be true, but I will test this spring.  Its 
worth pointing out, NEVER plug your electronic welders into a 
generator.  They may well work, but they require "clean power" 
and cheap generators don't provide that, causing electronic 
failures.  I have seen two expensive welders damaged this way.

As usual, the solutions in the Smith family, far out weigh the 
problems.  The obvios solution, besides hooking up the over 
priced Alberta utility, is to build a welder generator.  I 
even have the old chysler gasser alternator from the voyager 
diesel conversion, to put to use there.  Now I just need to 
decide on a prime mover.  My fav would be the chrysler VW 
deisel van, but I will need the welder to finish that project. 
 So its either a nice portable gas generator style, or an 
electric motor driven style, reliant on my big generator, but 
one less carberator to clean, pull cord to snap, oil to 
change, blah, blah, blah.
I won't tell you how to do it until I have done it, besides This guy does a great job of explaining the basics of using a car alternator as a welder.  If that link doesn't work its http://home.comcast.net/~t.molnar/Obwelder1.htm

 
The Gas powered alternator welder, vs..... the electric generator compatible  welder   
Tell me what you think I should do.             
                                                                                          

2 comments:

Stuff said...

so running an alt off an electric motor is more cost effective then to use the grid?

Malcolm said...

Not so. But when there is no power available welding machines tend to have problems running on generators. Transformer style generators don't get enough amperage fast enough, and electronic generators tend to need cleaner power than generators provide.