Monday, February 28, 2011

More Cold


Used to be my favorite excuse, its too cold to pull wire, lets take the day off.  Now working for myself, i need to finish the job.  I pay extra for the "Freeze Flex" wire, and it seems to pull in ok.  But hit it with the hammer wile stapling, or try to strip it w a knife, and it shatters, causing me more work w the tape, which also doesn't stick in -30.
I can only work till I lose feeling in a couple fingers, then I have to warm up.  I brought my 80,000 btu propane construction heater.  Since the diesel Herman Nelson gave me carbon monoxide poisoning at the last job, now I can't stand the smell of burning diesel.  Anyway I was having mad difficulty with the propane heater, its been great in the past, cause it doesn't need electricity.  Today in -30c it won't stay lit.  I read it more closely, "minimum ambient temp of 0 F".  Are you joking me?  What good is that.  So I packed it in early today.  Here's a pic of the heater label, I am still in disbelief.
I did get my sign powered up with batteries and LEDs.  It is glorious.  I put one on the Glenora site today, the idea is that I will turn it on when I leave at night, and off in the morning when I return.  Not sure how long the batteries will last yet.  The signs are 32" x48".  The plastic pieces were about $5, the vinyl cut out prepped to stick on was about $33, the LEDs were about $5 from china, and the batteries to run it another $5, an ongoing expense until there is power on site.  You can see the LEDs in this vid.

4 comments:

Stuff said...

made in china crap i guess. that is just silly about the ambient temp. should be good to -40 like propane is!

Malcolm said...

Yeh its weird. Maybe there is some other issue, but last time I used this heater it worked, in -20c

cars for sale in alberta said...

made in china crap i guess. that is just silly about the ambient temp. should be good to -40 like propane is!

Malcolm said...

Well "cars for sale" is that some sort of automated attempt to put a back link to your blog? You know that is exactly what Stuff said?
Anyway...
It must have been close to -40, because its looking like it was just a propane issue.