Friday, February 11, 2011

Flooded basement

This is why I don't like having 2 houses let alone 3.
It appears to me like the neighbors basement pipe has been leaking since I left for Mexico.  The renter of course doesn't care, she bought an inflatable boat to padle around in the fridged waters.  The property manager is having great difficulty getting anything done there, I think because the owner won't approve the costs to repair it.  I tried to help, I waded through the basement to the valve, shoulder deep in sub zero water I tried to turn it off, but there is no handle on the valve, and all my tools are 4 hours away in Andrew.  So I gave the manager a price to go buy the needed tools, shut off the water, and pump the basement out, really not that hard, I just want to do it.  But instead I have been letting people in all day to come look, and even Epcore attempted to shut the main valve off on the street, but its frozen.  They came in the house to try that valve, but couldn't stand the fridged watter either.  So its still pumping in, going on for the 10th day I'd say.  I had to leave, it is painful to see such incompitence.  So I am out in Andrew w my tools.  I have already done two charity service calls to my neighbors house, I just got back from Mexico, broke, I can't spend a day pumping your basement out for free.
I just watched the video.  I think I was out for an hour between trying to turn the water off w Epcor, and then checking that it was all good when I returned.  The water looks 3" higher in the second half the video.

I a day later and the basement is pumped out.  My estimate was good at $800 for me to do it.  They paid a plumber $980, who did it, and another plumber showed up before, left a bill for $300 and didn't do anything.
I have never seen a rental go so horribly wrong.  Between the owner, property manager, and tenant, everybody is suing everybody.  It will be very interesting to see how this works out.

Everybody is having hard times w realestate rite now.  Nobody can pay their bill.  I could have stayed in Mexico another week.  The big glenora job doesn't start for another week, and all the other jobs need to settle the bill before they continue. Time to sell some stuff to pay bills.  First up is the hot tub, and the vibrating beds.

No comments: