Thursday, November 12, 2009

New hot tub toy

I made my steam engine, and boat to put it in. It is very impressive. It just runs off a birthday candle. When I have the cover off the tub I will measure it and time the boat to see how fast it goes.

My oil furnace experaments are going ok. All that is holding me back from making the perfect oil burner, is a small metal lathe. And my favorate store, Princess Auto, puts them on sale all the time. But for the Lathing I need done, I should just find a machinist. The home made burner works a lot like a fuel injector, and is called
a babbington burner.

I noticed a commonality, between all the "hot" furnaces that you can shut off, and my wood stove. Simply put, they have a forced air feed. So why not put a forced air feed in the wood stove, and I could shovel coal, wood, oil, whatever I want in there. 20-25psi seems like a resonable presure. I thought the old "Cambell Hause...whatever" Canadian tire compressor would be great for this job. It was a freebie, as it couldn't keep up at the jobsight on Parker, Thanks Sarah. It has been made obsolete w the new Dewalt compressor that failed multiple times on the jobsight for Ron. Then he moved and couldn't bring himself to haul the broken equipment, another freebe. I fixed it, and I don't have a crew of guys waiting on it if it breaks again. Off on a small tangent there, but I was shocked at how poorly
the Cambell keeps up, even at 20psi. I tried to dial its pressure down from 130psi to a simple 40-60psi but the factory regulator screws don't really adjust anything. Screwed all the way out, its still 130psi. In order to run my new furnace
system I will use a bigger air tank, and a new pump switch.

I put together the brake drum oil burner tonight, and it kinda failed, just burned like a kerosene lantern. I think maybe if I make an oil preheat, and preheat the burner w alcohol this time instead of crumpled paper, I might have more success. Also not sure of my air inlet angle, I have it coming in on the side, so it spirals the flames around. But not sure if it is really helping. Shall play with that more another day.

The airbagit.com guys really loved my cheasy vid. They have it posted on their websight, and they are sending me a
bunch of free fittings.

Did I mention I bought a back up camera for the truck. It does work slick for hooking the trailer up, but i wanted it for the back of the trailer. Its a joke being "wireless" because it still needs to be wired to 12 volts, and then the
wireless doesn't work well at 30' back on the end of the trailer. I am taking that back today, wat a waste of money. I will buy a $10 'wired' webcam for the back of the truck to hook up the trailer, and just not back up the trailer in
busy areas.

No comments: