Friday, November 6, 2009

Tractor implements.

A week ago, Michelle came home from School on Friday all wheezy and having trouble breathing, so I took her to the hospital. Well they admitted her all weekend, and had her on breathing masks most of the weekend. She came home all better Sunday night, but word had got to her boss, so she had Monday off. She wakes up on Monday morning having trouble breathing, and says "I want my mom to take care of me". So we called her mom to see what she would do to take care of Michelle in this case. She says, "cook a goose, collect the grease, and rub the stinky grease on her chest." After getting cooking instructions I failed to fine a Goose for sale anywhere. Two people had said to talk to the Hutterites, and so I did. On the phone a gentleman said to go to the Hutterite kitchen and ask for Goose Lard, but they could not sell me a goose cause they were not government certified. So I went to the Kitchen, and the Ladies are like "What on earth are you going to cook w goose lard?" I said "My wife has really bad bronchitis" and they got all excited "oooh, I will give you some fresh chicken broth for her to sip on too." So that worked out well, and maybe it even helped clear Michelle's lungs at night.

I almost sold my little Ranger truck for $1000, then the guy talked to a mechanic, and was told any motor w a blown head gasket should have a complete rebuild. So I think I will have to do that, completely rebuild it. I worked out how much fuel I used in my big dodge, and it is quite sick, 28 liters a day, on average. It costs me only $500 a month, because its propane @ $0.60 a liter, and it is hard to compete with that. Anything else I drive would have to get better than 20mpg on gas to cost less. With the ability to tow the new work trailer, a sprinter van is the only competitor. The Ranger only gets 20mpg, but maybe if it was rebuilt it would do better, subsidized w some biofuel, thats big savings. I am going to pull the motor before we leave for Mexico, then put the Ranger back in back yard storage, and park the new trailer in the garage.

Some how I came across front end loader plans for lawn tractors. How cool is that? But after putting a hydraulic pump, and rams on the lawn tractor your looking at $1200+ in cost, not so cool any more. Plus you need rear weights, and the front wheels and spindles need to be replaced w heavy duty ones. I thought a rear loader would be the way to go. I found a "Johny bucket" available online, but it is still a front end deal, and doesn't lift very high at all, plus an $1800 US price tag. It is neat though, theres a 16 sec vid here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8DPRnmqv8LY
I had made a 6' blade for the bronco, but never installed it. Since taking 5 hours to try and start the old bronco the other day, I got it hauled away cause it pissed me off not starting. for a test, and functional implement, I cut the blade down to 4' and made a 2 point "sleeve hitch" type thing on the back o my tractor. Last night I had it all spot welded together w my new welding inverter, and I load tested it to 200lb. That is good enough to start building the bucket, though I am hoping it will be good for to lift at least 300lb, I broke one spot weld last night, so with the finishing welds this morning we will see.

No comments: