Monday, May 31, 2010

Winter

Thinking of next winter, no I am not collecting fire wood. Well yes I am, I can't say no. I need to get the dump truck finished, so I can start a big pile in the back yard. Everybody keeps offering me their fallen trees. For the locals in town I drive the tractor w trailer n chainsaw over. The 3x5 trailer doesn't haul much, so its lots of trips, good fun. Here is a video of taking the van and trailer into a pasture w cows.


What I was thinking about was leaving AB for the winter. That is the plan. The ideal comfort scenario, is to spend all winter in Mexico. But there is also potential of Victoria n Toronto. Although I am making enough to pay the bills, I am not making enough to save to support us in Mexico for 4-6 months. I just decided I need to make some money, printed up some brochures, haven't even passed any out and BLAM, I became choice electrical contractor for another 2 contractors. Let me tell you about them.

Chris I acquired giving a rough estimate over the phone to Larry, who was doing a joint venture with Chris. I gave Larry his usual stellar price of $50 an hour, estimated, and Chis was so impressed, he has me coming to give a quote on a big 4 plex he his building. I need to start charging more for driving into the city. I love the drive, but the time it takes is going to limit my income potential.

The second contractor, posted an add on Kijiji "Master Electrician needed" He was going on about saving his clients money, but he needs a Master to pull permits, and inspect his work before the inspectors come, and blah, blah, blah. I was thinking I have to charge at least $80 an hour to make this gig work, he is sounding like he wants to cheap out, the last guy left. I finally asked "what did the last guy make" "$85 an hour, or estimated jobs" perfect, I'll do it, got an appointment at 5 today to see the first job. This guy mantains 400 rental units, puts up modular homes, and much more. So we'll see how busy he keeps me, but I did agree on $80 an hour, and $0.60 km for work outside Edmonton.

I printed out 2 different simple fliers, with some cheap estimated prices for work. One geared toward old houses, for renovations, re lamping for a home sale, or service upgrades. And one brochure geared toward the new developments with unfinished basements, essentially offering to put a plug in for a second fridge, or freezer, finish the basement wiring, or add a light fixture. This way I can target area's of town, and get at least 3 small jobs in the same area to fill a day. Not sure where to put the fliers yet, but thinking the screen door, if nobody answers the door. I will probably need a new cell phone plan this summer if I continue this craziness.

I got into it w my GPS now I will be getting jobs all over again. Think this is GPS #5, it froze on a screen months ago. This was a Magellan, and after much hassle w their "automatic trouble shooter Maggie" on their web site, I finally got a phone number. Called them this morning, and they are sending me a new unit.

No comments: