Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Grease Car

Filled up w Diesel for the first time.  This car, same as my van, sits idle a lot here in winter.  It gets warmed up, before we go any where, and we are at a much higher altitude than most of Canada.  Plus with these winter conditions, there is a lot of spinning out, working it back and forth to get out of parking spaces its stuck in ect.  I still got 41 mpg, all that said.  Thats 2.4 times as good as the astro van.  One tank of fuel and I am already conspiring to run almost entirely on deep fryer fat.

The plan is to weld up a tire size tank and stick it in the spare tire spot in the trunk, with a gas cap beside the licence plate.  I want to do some cold weather experiments and stuff rite away, so I am going to start off with the 20 liter water jug behind the drivers seat full of fryer fat.  I will see if it can be pumped cold.  I am going to document it all in video pictures and writing, on my fuel miser blog, which I will link to from here.

It was -26 today, the VW wouldn't turn over.  I put my newest battery in and it started like nothing, not even plugged in.  Then I got to work and my cordless impact wouldn't work.  I tried 3 different batteries, tried the batteries in the drill and they were good,  I go through great effort to keep the batteries a bit warm, so they still work..  I couldn't recall ever dropping the impact gun or anything.   Around lunch time I decided to fix it.  Thought I'd make a video, start with the demonstration of the impact gun not working.  Blam it worked!  Good thing I didn't take it apart first.  It must have been frozen too.

Looks like I will be working through Christmas.  I have a 2 services to put up, outside, and its supposed to be like zero deg Christmas day, and boxing day.  Who knows if that will last any more than those 2 days.  That should be all I need.  Good thing I didn't go anywhere for Christmas.

No comments: