Saturday, December 11, 2010

New Plasma Cutter

Months ago, I tried to get a bumper cut out of steel at the metal shop, for the new Possum Van.  I wanted them to just whip through it w the plasma cutter, so I could weld it together, around my new trailer hitch.  They wanted $300 set up fee, if they could even do it.  They can't follow a template, its all programmed CNC, through a computer.  So if they can't put angles and diameters to it, they can't even do it.  So I just bought myself a Plasma Cutter.  I have wanted one for years, and they have come down in price about 400%.  I found this Everlast Plasma Cutter advertised on Kijiji, which ultimately put me through to a dealer in Toronto.  I offered them $100 below their listed price, with shipping included, and they accepted.  I got the new plasma cutter for $550 shipped to my door, and they only charged GST, none of that Toronto HST PST BS.  So I was really happy with that, considering the $1000 price tag at Princess Auto and other discount retailers.
My poor compressor isn't keeping up very well, now its crank case clogged up with ice or something and it keeps blowing the oil fill cap off and spraying oil everywhere.  I'll have to bring my good compressor out to the ghetto garage.  But I got a half dozen bed frames cut up for usable angle iron.  Actually I didn't cut them up, but just blew all the rivets out, holding the pieces together.

No comments: