Tuesday, December 7, 2010

I hate Generators

It looks like I got the 1.5 million dollar house in Glenora, to wire.  He said he was only getting 2 quotes, and was waiting on the second, then he recently said "I have no doubt now that you will be doing the work." inferring that the other quote was outrageous.

We got the furnace going at the duplex, one of them anyway.  Pretty funny really, I'm like "really, Atco hooked you up with this rusty pile o crap furnace."  But I guess they didn't look at it, just turned the gas on.
I have so many heaters now, from my 5 years, the cold doesn't even bother me any more.  I have 240v construction heaters, diesel blower Herman Nelson, all sorts of propane heaters, wood stoves, and coal furnace.  Last night I put my diesel jet engine, Herman in the Ghetto Garage, with the big trailer, and I stickered it up in -16c.  I figure if I can get so much work in Andrew w a crappy broke down minivan in the drive way (video to come) I can get some work in Edmonton w a van and trailer on the street.

I have to bite my tongue w WCB.  I have to get that to do this Glenora job.  Apparently it just eliminates the possibility of me suing the property owner, if I hurt my self wile working on it.  I'm going to be pissed if I have to start wearing steel towed boots again.  I had a momentous burning of them when I quit McMurray and started working for my self.

There is a lot of things going on rite now that I really hate, but don't have time to deal with.  Hopefully I can weasel a little time off to fix them, my van being a big one.  And not having any time for anything being another.

We turned the power off in Andrew, thinking the $80+ monthly distribution fee (whether they distribute any power to you or not) is a little much, and not needed.  I have a 5000 watt Honda Generator, probably has a clogged carb, will not even sputter.  With no time to fix it, I bought a 1000w 4 stroke genny for $100, basically brand new, off a guy.  This thing is truly amazing.  I have my whole house powered by it, lights anyway.  I work in the garage, w grinder, saws, and drills.  But the best part is 4 liters of fuel lasts bout 10 hours or something, I have never even stayed up to see when it runs out of gas.  Anyway, the last night we ran it, it self destructed, leaking oil everywhere.  There is still a little oil in the 2.5 hp motor, so it should be easy to fix, I hope, do you think I have even had time to look to see where all the oil came from.
I will say the 12v charging system on the 1000w genny is next to useless.  charging anything more than an already charged car batter, blows its 12 breaker.  I have blown the 120v breaker cutting thick wood w the skill saw and such, but I find it fascinating that we can function as a house with 1000w, no well pump, fridge, or electric heat, but otherwise, as we were.  Less than $4 in gas often powers the house for 2 nights.   We hope to run the house off batteries soon, but no time to deal w frozen batterys at this point, thats a spring project.

Michelle looks amazing after losing some 60ish lb, and you can see the sexy generator just behind her on the table, before it self destructed.

No comments: