Thursday, December 16, 2010

New car

So the other day I was emailing back and forth about this Turbo in Camrose, but it turned out I was confused and it was a whole 96 jetta, w 1.9L turbo diesel, that I had emailed in disbelief of the $1000 price, try 10,000 I thought.  An 86 w 750,000km on it is going for $2000.  When I figured it out it was basically sold, before I could drive to Andrew, pull the car dolly from the back, and drive to Camrose.  But then the worst storm of the year, like a foot of snow.  The seller emailed to say the buyer wasn't going to make it.
Do I really need a diesel jetta?
$16 for fuel, instead of $50 to drive out to Andrew.  1000L Free, once the biodiesel reactors going.
Even if I just sell it in the spring for $3500 or something.
It is a standard, which I have been missing.
So I decide I can't lose, the extra insurance cost is covered after 2 trips to Andrew every month.  Road trips to Victoria, and Mexico, fuel cost will be so min, the ferry will cost more to Victoria.
It took a long time, and a lot of work, but my poor 250 sled managed to get the car dolly out of Guy's back yard.  The GPS took me on some range roads to Camrose, you should have seen the snow drifts. You couldn't see the snow drifts really cause its all white, and no defining edge.  One poor Acura was half disappeared stuck in a snow drift.  I wish I got a picture, but I was really just happy to get through it in my heavy work van.  So it was a little terrifying, driving down there.  With the VW in tow coming back, I took a longer route on well plowed highways.  They were still a little sketch on icy corners and stopping, but visibility was good so no surprises, no accidents.  I got the Jetta home in darkness, and the seller pulled his add rite away, so I don't even have a picture to post yet.

OMG I love the Jetta.  I have only one complaint, which is fixable, but caught me off guard.  Being addicted to the large double doubles, and now having a standard, I need to put my coffee down, and it doesn't fit in the factory cup holder, arh.  But everything else, fabulous.  Electric locks all work, built in alarm, 5 speed, tires are acceptable in the snow, the body style is nice, its a dark blue.  Its not the greatest in the deep snow, but what is?  Now I am faced w the paradox of getting stuck on the street in front of my house, or digging "my spot" out nicely, to come home and see another small car owner from up the street parked there, so now my block heater plug doesn't reach.  Block heater is a little more important now w the diesel, so I will just make a big cloud o black smoke working it back and forth, until I can get on the "packed" part of the street.  Edmonton streets are a mess rite now.

We get an $85 fine if we don't shovel the side walk within 48 hours.  But its cheaper to not shovel it than shoveling it onto the street.  Its $170 if we get caught shoveling snow onto the street or alley.

No comments: