Monday, August 3, 2009

Need a new travel van


For many reasons I feel we need a new van to travel in. I miss the day of the old Arrow star van, as unreliable as it was it was so nice to travel in. Then the Windstar was great for the few months that I got out of it, I would have kept the windstar if I only needed to replace the engine, but the transmission was on the fritz too. I am almost ready to buy a new van, I just have 2 requirements, it has to be diesel, and it has to have the capability of getting at least 30mpg, even if it is with very conscious effort with driving technique. I found this Euro style motorhome on Ebay I am really thinking of buying.
-It is a 1986 so importing to Canada is no problem.
-Its very unique, less than 500 ever made by Vixen.
-Vixen still has a websight and it appears parts are still available although expensive.
-The Vixen is powered by a 2.3L diesel and brags 30mpg.
-The Vixen is only 3' longer than my extended cab full box truck at 21'
-The ebay url is... http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=290336014927&fromMakeTrack=true#ht_511wt_1197
-I am a little sketched out because the radiator was replaced, and it just had an oil change. Turbo diesels over heat very quickly with any cooling system issue, and I suspect a head gasket is gone on this unit.
I have been looking at other options b4 I found the Vixen. I first realized my need when I saw a couple driving a gutted Mini bus here in Toronto. They had a big dog, His and Her bike hanging off a bumper rack, and lots of their worldly possessions in the back. The Buses are called Handydarts in Victoria. They are common little shuttles in Ft McMurray, and I am sure they are available for cheap somewhere. So that is one option is the minibus, without finding a good deal they are available as retired Limos or retired shuttle busses for about $15k US

I was surprised that a lot of ambulances were diesel. Retired Ambulances run a little less at about $12k Canadian But both Ambulances and mini buses are mostly Ford, and very large motors, 7.3 liters and such. However parts would be available and common.

In the used market there is several Mitsubishi Delicas, and Toyota minivan diesels for under $10k, but they are all from Japan and rite hand drive, which doesn't interest me. I feel we are only a few years off from being able to buy these w the North American left hand drive, but its not an option yet, and rite now it seems like the Canadian new car market is going to shrink more, before it expands into these great vans.

That leaves the Dodge/Mercedes Sprinter as the only New option that I have found. There is Ford and Chevy full size vans available w the 7L+ diesels, but they just don't compare to the Sprinter w its 3L Mercedes Diesel. I have to find out how much these are brand new, but I get the impression that they have come down in price to about $50k, although that is probably US, and they are just a cargo van at that point.

I need some feedback, if anybody has any opinions or ideas, email me duckvillage@gmail.com
I have about 4 days before the Vixen auction ends.

No comments: