Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Branding a business

Mexico really has the branding and sales thing down. This
is the propane truck and the catchy tune it plays as it drives by
slow. Each company has their own tune it seems. People
also turn everything into a sales platform. There is
obviously no zoning, because every second house has a store
front. I wasn't refering to store fronts though, bicycles,
motorbikes, VW Beetles, I have seen it all turned into mobile
sales machines.

How long do you think I would last with loud speakers on the
roof, blasting, "Electrician for hire", as I drive slowly
through town. Actually I think all the mobile sales are
food or consumable fuel, propane, water, bread, slushies,
donuts, fruit, hambergurs, hot dogsand of course ice cream

I know branding from the internet, they say that is important
to dominate a niche market, create a brand, a tune, an intro,
and put it on everthing.

Everybody in town is starting to know me, at least as "the
canadian". I can't really carry a conversation in spanish,
but a few guys speak english better, and I chat w them. They
are always "ah your the guy from Canada I want to go there".

One guy wants to go to Canada, but he has a criminal record
so he cant go to the states. He was shocked that I would
not be allowed into the states with a criminal record. "but
you are Canadian? Canada and US are tight". Not that tight.

They all figure we are less racist in Canada, and its "not
as easy to get in trouble in Canada" as it is in the states,
according to Veto.

Out for a walk today there was the typical old nissan truck
speeding down the dirt road, wile a little bumper height
girl tried to pull a harnessed pit bull across the street.
She was fully focused on the stuborn pit bull, yanking on the
leash it wan't going anywhere, untill the truck was rite there.
The truck driver obviously saw her cause he went to the other
side of the street, but once the pitbull decided to go home,
the two of them were in the midle of the road in less than 2
seconds. Oblivious to the truck, that barely stopped, inches
from the little girls head, she walked the dog accross the
street in front of the stopped pickup. Probably shouldn't
let 2 year olds play in the street I am thinking.

For all that are wondering, the Canadian border said we
are alowed to import 1 liter of alcohol per person. After
that we pay $3 a liter to import it. We have a few half
full bottles, so tonight I am doing mixed alcohol experements.
Kelua and Tequila mix nicely, think Kelua is a Tequila, or
it is now anyway. Should be a real kick in the coffee now.

The Canadian border also said there was no issue importing
a car, we just have to pay GST. Even brand new, they said
the only issue we might have is canadian dealers stopped
covering american warrentys. Unless you buy the extended
warranty, then "they have to cover you" in the border
dudes words. The arizona motor builders never got back to
me with their info, and my truck doesn't use a drop of antifreeze
with the new fan switch. So the Ranger will get rebuilt first,
and when the Canadian goes par w the US dollar, I will go
to the states and buy a brand new truck, maybe. Hard to
say no when you get $20k off for the trouble.

In the mean time I will buy a programable fuel injection
ECU and see if I cant get better mileage than new trucks,
with my aging Dodge 360 (5.6L). Is 30mpg possible with
a full size truck? I know it is.

No comments: