Monday, January 4, 2010

How To Open a Coconut

I don't have volume on my computer, hopefully I wasn't swearing trying to hack this coconut open, I don't remember.

Michelle left on a plane today at 5:30, I am here all
alone. I have 60 pecos left, equivilant to less than $6
Canadian, from the $5500 I started with, That was $500, but
doesn't include any gas, insurance, toll highways, food, or
hotels on the way down.

I have another $350 to exchange but nothing is open today,
its Sunday. I wouldn't need to get more cash, but Gus Gus
needs his Parvo plus booser shot and the Vet doesn't take
credit cards. Plus I will need some cash for the toll
highways out of here.

I kinda feel like livin real cheap, there are enough
coconuts on the property to have one every day more I am
here, free. Papias are huge and cost less than $2 for 3,
rite outside the gate at the Sunday maret. 6 huge pink
grape fruits and bananas are another $2.

There is no doubt I could live on $4 worth of fruit a week
here, but I don't think the mother inlaw would let me.
Irma keeps cooking dinner for me and Joe, and a lot of it.

To give everybody an idea of costs down here, let me say...
The hotels are what kill people. Even if you can get a
hotel for less than $100 a night, they still seem to add
extra charges to make their $100.

I found gas is almost the same price as Canada this year,
maybe 10% less down here. I haven't driven since I got
here. I don't know the roads, my truck is huge, there is
no where to park, and the roads are narrow. I think we
will bring the lil red 185cc bike down here, and buy a
mexican scooter. Till then the bus is $0.90 to down town
Peurto Vallarta.

Having had to pay off the Policia is another reason I
don't want to be driving. I am likely targeted with
Canadaian plates. I would have gladly payed the $500 peco
ticket the officer was going to give me, for "driving too
fast with a trailer" but he wasn't even interested in giving
me the ticket, he just wanted $200 pecos pay off, which Joe
got down to $140 pecos. I still can't stop laughing at that.
I paid a police officer less than $14 to let me go without
a ticket "can you imagine". That is the highlight of my trip
so far.

Kulua is less than $8 a liter, unbelievable. I now like
Kulua Lattes more than egg nog lattes.

The big 20 liter water bottles are $2. Tomorrow I am going
to try to buy 2 glass ones. They might cost me without an
exchange, but the glass should last forever, I don't know
how many plastic bottles I have gone through. I have never
seen the glass bottles in Canada though.

The Sunday market tends to have a lot of over priced used
stuff. It seems to be hard to get a lot of tools and things
here, so some people sell their used ones for the price of
new, but then other people sell for really cheap.

Fruit and stuff the average Mexican can make, is dirt cheap.
I love the slurpies, they hand "shave" the ice, and then
mix it w real juice.

No comments: