Thursday, January 21, 2010

Van Hunting


The truck drama goes on. I spent lots of time looking at vans online, when I should have been fixing my truck brakes. A decade ago I wanted one of these Astro vans, even 4 years ago I had looked in AB, and they still wanted $10k for miled out used ones. This one is for sale for $1800, is nicely customized, never driven in winter, and already has air bag suspension. Hopefully I can get to see it tonight or tomorrow morning. Otherwise I am kinda interested in a 2000 dodge work van for $5k, but then I can get a 2005 Sprinter from the states for $14k. In the spring when I can ride the bike to the states, test drive a sprinter, put the bike in the back and drive the van home. New brakes will get me by in the truck till then if the Astro falls through. The Astro van is old but its fun, and it has no side windows, which is what I want, so shelves can go against the wall.

If the Astro works out I could sell the work trailer, come out $1000 ahead in the end, and just leave the camper in Mexico as a permanent fixture, pay import duty on the camper in a decade. Then have one of my 3 trucks for firewood and heavy building materials, even hauling trailers if I want.

Life is far less exciting back in AB, hence the coppied picture of the Astro van for sale.

Really happy w my new computer. Windows 7 is about the same as Vista in my opinion, but everybody says its better so I will try and believe them. I did find in my computer manual you can get a SIM card slot. Rite now I use a USB cellular card for my mobile internet, an internal card would be sweet but I didn't get that one. That will have to wait.

Going to trade the 650 special motorbike for a sled I think. We might only use the second sled twice a year, but I don't see ever using the 650, its not really what I want. Sledding at any speed on my narrow machine requires extreme leaning and it never works out w 2 people on the sled, so this way we will have 2 sleds, and maybe we can keep them upright.

No comments: