Friday, January 22, 2010

Drill Starter Motor


There is something wrong w the starter motor on this lawn tractor. Its only -5 celcius but I have the clothes iron warming the engine, had it jumped to the running pickup, and a battery charger on it for this video and it just won't turn over very fast if at all.

I desperately needed to plow the driveway, so I hit it with the drill to start it. It worked out in the end. I only used a 1/4" socket and extension for two reasons. For one the 3/8 extension wouldn't fit in the drill, and secondly its somewhat safer with the sheer factor. A 1/4" extension would break before my wrists. I feel I wasted my money on the new tractor battery, because even in warm weather the starter won't crank the 650cc single cylinder engine over. My biggest drill had no problem with it.

This crappy video sealed the deal. I am buying a real cam corder next time I am in town, maybe tomorrow. I can make some quality vids then. I hope the drill starter motor inspires someone else to do the same, its a pretty sweet trick, works for pull start or electric start machines.

No comments: