Friday, January 15, 2010


Just look at the size of the speed bump in the picture,
its obsurd, but a true scale picture. Sometimes
they don't give you the warning sign, and the orange paint
has worn off the bump, they can be quite the unexpected ride.
Unexpected speed bumps were the death of the trailer tongue
jack. The perfect frequency for destruction, the same
length as a car.

Close to the US border I thought I was going to have to get
a hotel, when 12 Policia passed me with their lights on.
Thats going to be hard to bribe 12 trucks full of Policias.
I expected the road to be blocked at some point, but it never
was. The oddity was that I caught up to them again as
they were going through the next town. Police cars can't
go any faster over monsterouse speed bumps than anyone else,
so by putting ridiculous bumps on thier highways they have
limited their emergency response speed too.

We all know that you are allowed to ride in the back of
pickups, south of the US border. This year I saw some
next level guys. Down the highway at 110km/hour two guys
standing in the back of a flat deck truck holding on to the
"head ache rack". My personal favorite was the roof rack
chairs. Really how much more dangerouse can it be to be
riding on the roof? I saw two trucks with second level
seating over the cab, I got a vid of the safer looking one
with rails and "oh shit handles". I also saw the
record maker. What looked like a "bus" of workers going
home from the farm. 16 guys in the back of a pick up,
standing room only. There was wood sides on that truck,
they were packed in like live stock.

My truck was somewhat disappointing through the mountains.
It easily overheated, and lacked any real power. Then after
the mountains it was somewhat of a dream, until I started
to ascend an unnoticed long hill, and tried to maintain 110
in the heat of day.

My cruize control failed to work, the
whole trip home too. That was a total disapointment, and
the primary reason I wanted to keep the engine dodge, so I can
keep the factory cruise control. Now its fair game if I come
across a nice motor and trans combo with low miles, preferably
standard too. This rediculously long truck has 2 drive shafts,
and the first one isn't that long. Balancing a short home made
drive shaft should be easy. The question is, who makes the
best motor and transmission?

At the US border I told them I had about 10 liters of booze
and they said that I am only allowed 1 liter and they were going
to have to confiscate the rest. Oh no you don't, I said.
I asked specifically at the Canadian border the cost of
taking more than a liter of booze home. They said it would
be $3 a liter. Then he backed down, said, well its OK with me if
you bring it in, I will leave it up to the next officer, go in
line 2 for the "cavity" search (in my words). It all went smoothly,
just an hour in line initially, and a half hour in the second line
basically, they never even made me open the tail gate, and I got
to keep the 19 1/4 liters of booze. Toward the end of the trip I
addedthe 1/4 liter micky of tequila from the gas station for $0.75,
I am pretty sure my coffee cost more. I should have got more of
them but there was a huge line up behind me and I was having
trouble communicating under pressure, wile the tequila was all
locked up behind the counter.

I got a last min video of one "red neck roller coaster" style truck
roof seating. Oddly the flash wasn't enough to take a pic,
but I could get video under the HID lights .


No comments: